Oscar Niemeyer, National Congress and Cathedral Under Construction, Brasilia, (1958)
The epic story of the new capital hid the tragic fate of many of the workers who took part in it: their exclusion from the city that they had helped to build. As well, the difficult complex construction process to which inexperienced rural workers were subjected in this project highlighted the contradictions between the design’s good intentions and the actual working conditions on the building site. The construction, especially that of the inverted dome of the National Congress, emphasized the opposition between the suppleness of Niemeyer’s design and the workload demand of those building it.
Fading | John Crouch
The former Prentice Women’s Hospital in Chicago is currently being demolished to make way for a new research building. The original structure was designed by famous architect Bertrand Goldberg and was the subject of an intense preservation battle.
The building is getting consumed from within and will soon be gone. Most of the destruction is hidden away behind an array of mesh and scaffolding. To most onlookers it will simply appear to slowly melt away.
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) with Philip Johnson (1906-2005) | The Seagram Building | 375 Park Avenue | New York | 1958
Photo: House of Patria (Construction Photography Archive) | “Four Construction Photographs of Mies van der Rohe and Philip Johnson’s Seagram Building” | 1956–1957
Construction photographs were taken of the Seagram Building to document the progress of the building month by month. This was, and is, a common practice at major construction sites, primarily for legal reasons. Historically, the photographs provide evidence of progress to financial backers and serve as a tool to document building techniques. The four photographs above document the construction of the Seagram Building from October, 1956 to February, 1957
(from top left)
- Steel frame rising above the 26th floor, bronze mullions attached at first floor; view looking southeast. October 26, 1956.
- Building tower is now 36 floors high; concrete fireproofing being formed from twentieth to twenty-sixth floors; concrete fireproofing completed up to twentieth floor; mullion connectors reach twelfth floor; bronze mullions attached to eighth floor; glass inserted on first two floors; view looking southeast. November 26, 1956.
- Building tower steel frame up to 38 floors and mechanical penthouse being framed; concrete up to thirty-fifth floor; bronze mullions attached up to fourteenth floor; glass being inserted up to seventh floor, Dec. 26, 1956.
- Buildings steel framing, including mechanical penthouse, complete; bronze mullions attached up to thirty-seventh floor; glass inserted up to twenty-ninth floor; canopy framing completed at ground floor; view looking south east. February 27, 1957.
Via: Rudy Godinez
Chicago Exhibition Administration Building, Chicago, 1893
Designed by famed architect and landscape architect, Richard Morris Hunt, also known for his work at Biltmore Estate and his master plan of Central Park, the Administration building was one of a series of buildings designed by famous architects from around the world that would collectively make up the Chicago Exhibition. The Exhibition was a pivotal event in the history of Chicago, and would be fuel to the already explosive boom of the Windy City.
Rudolf Steiner, First Goetheanum, (1920)
"After an abortive attempt to build a centre for the anthroposophical movement in Munich, Rudolf Steiner was able to erect the headquarters of his new organization not far from Basel. His entirely timber-clad design was made in 1913. Building soon began and the first Goetheanum was opened in 1920. At the same time, strange edifices connected with the movement grew up around the new ‘temple’ in the grounds at Dornach. The Goetheanum was burnt down on New Year’s Eve, 1922/3 and was replaced by a new building in reinforced concrete. Steiner’s work falls into no stylistic category, its idiosyncrasies and originality makes it as unique as the Czech phase of Rondo-Cubism."